Summer Marquee week (catered) at Rolvenden
Sat 1 Aug 2020 to Sat 8 Aug 2020
Confirmed StaffLeader: Paul Weir
Apprentice Leader: Sian Hayward
Musician: Holly Clamp
Musician: Bruce Knapp
Warden: Don Thompson
Co-Caterer: Chris White
Co-Caterer: Colin Elliott
What to expect at Weeks 2 and 3 at Rolvenden
These 2 weeks are very much a “pair” of weeks for people who want a longer holiday with a continuity of style. An eclectic mix of music, song and dance with something to appeal to all ages. With all the volunteer talent we have at the week, this may include the ‘Join the Band Band’ and the chance for everybody to play for dancing, call a dance or just take to the floor. In addition to the more conventional folk dances, campers may be able to sample the delights of the Bucksaw Lambada, Traffic Lights, The Devil’s Doughnut and the Wizard’s Walk. And kids’ favourites Monkey Nuts and Donkey Derby are likely to put in an appearance. In past years many have joined in with barbershop, doowap, West Gallery choir, kids’ music, morris and rapper. Bring your talents with you – we are very open to diverse styles of music. And there will probably be a beach trip, or a boat trip or a picnic – or all three.
Week 2 (The previous week) is led by Walter Pohl and the newest kid on our block, Anthony Keen with workshop music from Alistair Gavin. Walter hails from Bremen where he runs a choir (Chor Don Bleu) and various other music ensembles and performs in theatre as well. Anthony hails from London with many years of singing, performing and improv experience under his belt. Pianist Alastair’s many credits include conducting and playing for several hit West End musicals as well as playing with UK and US rock and jazz ensembles.
Week 3 (This camp) is led by Paul Weir, who was Walter’s mentor many years ago. Paul has led many folk camps in the UK, France and Germany, over the past 40 years as well as calling for festivals, birthdays and weddings. Musical animation will be shared between Holly Clamp and Bruce Knapp. Fiddler Holly was a founder member of Climax Ceilidh Band and has also played in the European Youth Folk Orchestra. She loves to play for dancing, be it French dance, Swedish dance, Morris or Ceilidh. Guitarist Bruce also plays with Climax Ceilidh Band and has toured the world with the likes of the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, and pan-European band The Bluesmasters.
Here’s a clip from Climax Ceilidh Band, on YouTube (opens in new window).
Video of the “Devil’s Doughnut” dance:
Video of the Wizard’s Walk dance (thanks to Andrew Jackson for filming this):
Our site is in the grounds of Hole Park, home to magnificent gardens and our large field. Hole Park Estate is situated between the pretty Kent villages of Benenden and Rolvenden in a beautiful area of the High Weald.
The site is within reach of a group of larger towns: Maidstone, Ashford, Hastings and Royal Tunbridge Wells. The south coast of Sussex and Kent is home to a multitude of historic sites, from the Norman conquest to the second world war, and beaches at Eastbourne, Bexhill, Hastings, Camber Sands and more on the Sussex and Kent coast.
Deposits: A non-returnable deposit of £20 per person per event is payable at the time of booking. (Or the full price per person if it is less than £20).
If your deposit is not paid within 14 days of booking then your place will be cancelled.
Beware: your deposit and place could be lost if not paid in full before the full balance is due, see the booking conditions.
Prices are per person.
All accepted bookings automatically include Associate Membership of Folk Camps Society Ltd. for all party members 18 years of age and over.
1a) All deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable.
1b) If your deposit is not paid within 14 days of booking then your booking will be cancelled.
2a) Balances for weekend camps are due 1 calendar month before the holiday starts. After which the higher booking price will be charged.
2b) Balances for catered week & residential camps are due 2 calendar months before the holiday starts.
Reserved places and deposits will be lost if balances are not paid in full when due.
2c) Any discounts will be removed if balances have not been paid in full by the due date.
3) In the event of you cancelling (except under clause 5 below) the following scale of charges will apply:
- Up to 4 weeks before start of holiday – deposits only
- 15 to 28 days before start of holiday -50% of full cost
- Under 15 days before the start of holiday -100% of full cost
Please note some insurance companies offer policies which provide cover against you cancelling your holiday, including for UK holidays.
4) Folk Camps reserves the right to alter or cancel camps, facilities, dates and staffing as necessary, but will always attempt to provide a holiday that matches as close as practicable the original.
5) Folk Camps will not pay any refunds or consequential losses in respect of any changes necessary under clause 4 above, other than to grant the option of cancellation with full refunds if Folk Camps cancels or alters the dates or location of the camp as a result of any reason beyond its control.
6) The person making this booking will notify Folk Camps if any member of the party has been at risk of contact with an infectious or contagious disease. Should it be necessary to cancel the booking as a result of any such contact, then Folk Camps will refund all the monies paid.
7) The person making this booking acknowledges full responsibility for all persons included in the booking and indemnifies Folk Camps Society Ltd. for all losses incurred as a result of any such person’s actions.
8) Special medical dietary needs will only be catered for following advance agreement by Folk Camps.
9) Children under the age of 18 are the responsibility of their parent or responsible adult (aged over 21) at all times. See Safeguarding Policy and Guardianship Policy.
10) Folk Camps reserves the right to refuse any booking without explanation.
11) Folk Camps may use photos, images and videos taken at Folk Camps in future publicity. If you would like your permission to be obtained for the use of any media that clearly identifies you or your family, please contact the office.
12) If the Folk Camp site allows dogs, and your booking includes a dog, then you must follow the rules in the Folk Camps Dogs Policy.
13) For policies mentioned above, see http://www.folkcamps.co.uk/policies-and-legal/