How and when were you first introduced to Folk Camps?
I first attended Folk Camp as a proud father of a young son who needed a safe holiday environment and lots of new friends to play with.
What do you enjoy most about volunteering as Folk Camps staff?
It's nice to share some of the lovely music I come across with other enthusiasts
What is your favourite part of Folk Camps?
Meeting up with old friends again after too-long an interval
What is your best Folk Camps memory or experience?
I'm not sure of the 'best' - I remember the 'wettest' fairly well!
What do you bring to this volunteer role?
What can people expect at your camps?
Plenty to do. A wider variety of music to play than you might have expected.
What instruments do you play?
Accordion, Piano, Recorders and Fiddle.
My first instrument was a descant recorder which Father Christmas brought me when I was 8 years old. Since then I have progressed (though some prefer to say 'regressed') to the accordion, which I play regularly to lead a number of bands including 'The Cats Whiskers', as well as at monthly music workshops.
What can people expect at your Folk Camps?
At my morning workshops will use Barry Moule's 'Play In The Band', Pete Mac's 'Band Time' and 'Band Swing' as the primary material. For the latter 2 books there is available a full (and free) set of second parts on my website. Other Playford and 'Village Band' music, and material from new and unpublished works will be presented, as well as some simple classical and popular modern music, TV themes, etc.
There will be opportunity for recorder players to join in some extra workshops of more classical music (Byrd, Mozart, Bach, Handel, etc).
And of course you are all encouraged to join the big band for the evening dances.
What is your musical background?
I run a number of Folk Dance Bands (The Cats Whiskers, Cadenza, The Auld Alliance (Scottish), Beoley Village Band)
I'm a member of a Classical Music Trio (The Gallery Trio) and an Elizabethan Instrumental Group (Gloriana)
I'm resident caller at the Alcester Folk Dance Group
I sing in a West Gallery Quire (Immanuel's Ground, Warwick)
I run monthly music workshops for Worcestershire Players Club
I am also a keen dancer when time allows, as well as resident caller at our local dance club, and enjoy combining these activities.
In my spare time I dance with my lifetime dance-partner (and wife) Jenny.
- The Cats Whiskers http://midlandbarndances.co.uk
- Cadenza http://www.orangecat.talktalk.net/Cadenza/
- The Auld Alliance http://www.orangecat.talktalk.net/AuldAlliance/
- Beoley Village Band http://www.orangecat.talktalk.net/VillageBand/
- The Gallery Trio http://gallerytrio.fav.cc/
- Gloriana http://www.orangecat.talktalk.net/Gloriana/
- Alcester Folk Dance Group http://www.orangecat.talktalk.net/AlcesterFDC/
- Immanuel's Ground, Warwick http://www.immanuelsground.com/
- Worcestershire Players Club http://www.orangecat.talktalk.net/PlayersClub/
- Music Resources and goodies for musicians, dancers and callers http://www.midlandsbarndances.co.uk/index.html#Tunes
David‘s Folk Camps
All Folk Camps Staff
Find out about all the Folk Camps staff this season.